A leading portal on the Beverage Industry of India           ::        Industry Information on Suppliers , Manufcaturers, Related Industries, Trade Shows, Career opportunities, Equipment Sale and Purchase for the Indian Beverage Industry.
For New Entrants
For Existing Businesses
Packaged Mineral Water
Soft Drinks
Aerated Drinks
Packaged Fruit Juices
Soda Water
Copyright © 2008-2009
Bevin India
Leading Beverage Industry Information Portal
Home | Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ"s)
1. Is Bottled Water market in India is regulated  ?

Yes, It is compulsory  for all the manufacturers who intend to set up the processing unit , to obtain the ISI mark from Bureau of India Standards.

2. Can one apply for the ISI mark and commence the production ?

No. Unless the inspection is done by the staff , tests carried out in an independent lab and official confirmation and license number is obtained, unit canít commence commercial production. 

3. Is in-house lab compulsory ?

Yes, such Lab should be equipped  to carry out all physical , chemical and micro biological tests prescribed as per IS : 3025, and has to be conducted by expert chemist / micro biologist.    

4. What are the categories of  bottled water in India ? 

Only Two . Packaged Natural Mineral Water governed under IS:13428  and Packaged Drinking Water governed under. IS: 14543.

5. What is the basic difference between Natural Mineral Water and Packaged Drinking Water?

If the water is drawn from natural source, confirms to composition listed under IS:13428:1998, and is bottled  WITHOUT ALTERING the composition , falls under Natural Mineral Water.          

In packaged drinking water, any of the processes of filtration / disinfection listed under is:14543:1998  can be utilized , altering the composition of  subject water  & finally ,  bottling it.

After employing processes listed under IS:14543:1998, my water composition confirms to Natural Mineral Water specifications. Which category my water would fall in ?

IS : 14543:1998.

6. What is STOP MARKING ?

Bureau of Indian standards, during their routine / sudden inspection of the unit, may find irregularities in connection with composition, hygienic conditions, filling procedures etc. It may issue an order revoking the license temporarily, signifying stopping the production and usage of ISI mark on the product. The license is restored   after satisfactory compliance of  conditions.     

7. What are the pre requisites of  putting an ISI complying unit ? 

The standards published for bottled water [both categories] clearly mention the filtration processes,  hygienic conditions, lighting, labeling regulation etc. It also list the relevant testing standards [ IS 3025] required for methods of testing.

These standards can be obtained from any branch of BIS. The list of offices can be obtained from website : www. bis.org.net.in

8. What is BIS , ISI and PFA  ?

BIS : Bureau of Indian standards is a premier  organization engaged in  setting standards for various products and services.

ISI  : Indian Standard Institution is the former name of BIS but till date ISI  is the MARK given by this organization.

PFA : Governed under Prevention of Food Adulteration Act 1954 , this agency safeguards the interests of the consumers through constant check on the food and beverage sector .

9. Can  one mention  composition of water  if the brand falls under the category of IS:14543:1998 ?

No. Since it involves altering the composition of source water and it is at times , difficult to maintain the same, furnishing of such composition is not allowed.

10. Are there any standard volumes of water prescribed ?

Yes. As per notification issued by the ministry of consumer affairs on Feb28, 2001, amending Standards of weights and Measures [Packaged Commodities ] Rules 1977, it is mandatory now for bottled water to be sold only in prescribed standard. These are 100 ml / 150 ml / 200 ml / 250 ml / 300 ml / 330ml [ only in cans ], 500ml  / 750 ml /  1 litre / 1.5 litre / 2,3,4,5 litres and thereafter , in multiples of 5 litres.

11. What is CGWA ?

Under Ministry of Water Resources, Central Ground Water Authority [CGWA] regulates the use of ground water. Under power conferred to them under section 5 of Environment [protection] Act, 1986 , CGWA has directed  all processing units of bottled water to get their bore well registered with them. The same has to be applied under prescribed proforma.  

12 Which central agency's certification is necessary for commencing fruit juice / soft drink?

It is mandatory to obtain FPO mark, under FRUIT PRODUCTS OTDER 1955, and comes under ministry of food processing industry.   .        

13. Is it necessary to obtain BIS or FPO for manufacturing aerated water?

No, currently these certificates are not applicable.

14. Is it permissible to run a soft drink unit and bottled water unit from same premises  

No. Since ingredients to be utilized in soft drink [ sugar and flavour ] are likely to contaminate surrounding and equipment , it is neither advisable nor permissible to operate the same units at one place. 

15. What action is likely if product - bottled water or soft drink fails the permitted parameters ?

The action under PFA Act 1954 may be invoked and may result in stop marking for bottled water, invariably leading to temporary closure of unit. Soft drink unit may also fact closure owing to such slip-up.

^ Setup Procedure
^ Certifications
^ Infrastructure & Machinery
^ Marketing & Promotions
^ Trade Fair & Events
^ Carreers
^ Upgrade Technology
^ Human Resouces / Recruitments
^ Marketing & Promotions
^ Trade Fair & Events
^ Buy / Sell Used Machinery
^ Certifying Authorities
Site design | web effects